This morning I totally misjudged the trains. For those non-New Yorkers the subways in NY are numbered and colored but some numbered trains are the same colors as others, got that? This morning I entered the subway at the usual spot - NW corner of 34th & 7th. I ran down the stairs and realized I arrived early to the turnstyles. At that point I thought, maybe I will take the local 1 train downtown instead of crossing underground to the express 2, 3.
I looked up at the arrival boards and and there wasn't an indicator telling me when the next local 1 downtown would be arriving. Looking across the tracks tons of people waited for the 2,3 to head downtown. While I waited for the 1 train a 2 train came and people jammed themselves on leaving many behind who didn't make it onto the train. The next 2,3 train was arriving in 6 minutes. I thought if the 1 train comes I will get on it but if the 2,3 comes first I will run down the stairs cross underground and up the next set of stairs to get onto the 2,3. Sure enough this happened. The 2,3 arrived and I ran to the platform and when I got there I was last in line to make it onto the subway. I didn't fit, no room for me. Of course across the tracks (from where I ran from) the 1 train arrived but I didn't have enough time to go back down the stairs underground and up another set of stairs to make it.
I looked up at the arrivals again and another 2, 3 was to arrive in 5 minutes, I waited, took off my coat and unbuttoned the top button of my shirt to help my body cool off. There were a bunch of people ahead of me in line to get onto the subway car and I wasn't sure if I would make it again. I started to walk up and down the platform to see where I has the best chances of getting onto the train. The 2,3 pulled into the station and sure enough no room for me again! The next train was due to arrive in 3 minutes so I waited. In the mean time another 1 train came and looked in the windows of the train, it didn't appear to be crowded - I might even get a seat! I decided to run underground and jump on it - I made it. Phew! I sat down and waited until I got to Rector St. So much for getting to work early!
Luckily when I got off the subway at Rector Street and walked up the stairs I noticed a Dunkin! This made my morning, I felt like I deserved the coffee after the subway fiasco. Yummy french vanilla, I am happy! Here's to Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment