Today the sun shined brightly and I smiled to myself knowing the weekend brings great times to come! By reading the title of this entry you know I have a wedding. The wedding is for one of my greatest friends, Jen. Jen and I grew up together from age 9 and I am lucky to share this special day with her as the shortest bridesmaid.
Needless to say my day, today, hasn't been peachy. The sunshine was the best part. While walking to the subway I worried about bomb threats since President Obama was going to be at Ground Zero. Worrying was easy, carrying my weekend bag was brutal. My back between my shoulders is torn apart from switching the bag from shoulder to shoulder. I managed, barely, and from now on my bags will have wheels as long as I live in this city.
Work was work, I needed some coffee to get through it since Michael and I were up late (for me) washing laundry after a longer than necessary work day. We were desperate, I was out of underwear that I like and resorted to my granny panties and Michael ran out of undershirts.
Meetings were plentiful at work with long phone calls woven in between. Late in the day a meeting was called and I thought it wouldn't take too long. As usual it went over time and my Dad began to worry since the plan was for me to leave work at 5:30/6, hop on the train and be home (PA) in time for a late dinner. Scratch dinner altogether. I left work at 7, frantically, after feeling awful about leaving and tried to get a cab to Penn Station. After being rejected twice, yes twice, I called Michael and asked if cabs were switching over at 7, he said "no" and "just get another one". Can you tell I am fuming at this point? I just wanted to already be sitting on an express train to Trenton. I briskly walked with my stupid awkward bag to the subway taking deep breaths and right before heading down the steps I got in a cab, without cash. One good thing about NYC cabs is that they will take credit cards. After taking my frustration out on my Dad via text I feel how sweaty my feet are and realize I left my sneakers at work! Grrrrrrrr, this happens when I rush. For a normal person with normal feet this wouldn't be a big deal but my $400.00 orthodics and $30.00 heel paddings are in my sneakers! Plus, I am walking in the Philly Komen "race for the cure" on Sunday. Annoyed, I called Michael at work again to rant. He may get them tomorrow for me at work but I may just deal without them. I have bad feet and I need all those inserts to function, especially after a long night of dancing and high heel wearing! While talking to Michael on the phone the cabbie yells something and points. Clearly I am distracted by my phone call that I say "sure I will get out here" not realizing where the hell I am. I use my credit card to pay and the touch screen for $1.00 tip isn't working so I choose $2.00. $15.00 later I get out of the cab, walk to the corner and realize I am on 7th an 31st! He didn't take me to 33rd and 8th where I asked him too and still managed to get a hefty tip! So I walked a couple blocks and entered at Madison Square Garden. Not bad to enter there but I had to pee and the only bathrooms I know of are at the other end of Penn Station from where I entered. I shuffle over to the restrooms with my bag switching arm to arm. The women's restrooms were recently renovated which is good, they needed it. I find an empty stall, lock the door, and reach up on my tippy toes to hang up my weekend bag since Michael would freak out if I placed it on the floor. When it came time to wash my hands the sensor didn't "sense" me so I tried 4 spigets before water ran out of the one. I had to pump three soap dispensers before finding one that had some foam left. Thankfully I washed my hands and barely dried them since the hand driers, made in the 40s, had less power behind them then when I blow out my birthday candles. I did the ole pat dry on the jeans and left the restroom. I stood under the departure board and waited for my train's track number to appear. Track 4, great, at the opposite end of the station! Shuffling again I stepped down the sets of stairs two feet at a time due to passenger traffic, entered the second train car threw down that heavy awkward bag and blogged.
I should be home at my parents at 9:30pm and look forward to a beer and for the Dolaway/Driscoll wedding festivities to begin!
This blog idea has been a long time coming and I finally have decided to try “blogging”. You may wonder what it is I will blog about but living in New York City for the first time gives me plenty of material. Observing all types of people here I realized that I wanted to share my experiences with more than just myself. Most of what you will read will occur in the morning on my way to work which is about a 20 minute commute (walk & subway) or 30 minute commute (walking)...
Thursday, May 5, 2011
I have a wedding to get to people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Funny ...I want more! Keep on writing!
ReplyDelete